Word TOC loses formatting

Subject: Word TOC loses formatting
From: Nancy Allison <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 16:03:05 -0500

Hi, everyone. I'm still locked in mortal combat with Word 2003.

For this question, I've read Word MVP entries, searched Techwr-l, and combed through Word help. Doubtless the discussion is somewhere, but I'm running out of time.

A Word MVP S. Barnhill has an article called "TOC Tips and Tricks" (http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm) which explained a lot. Following that article, I reassigned paragraph styles to TOC levels, because I think it's just weird that the Word default assigns Level 1 to both Titles and Heading 1s. The default prints my chapter titles and Heading 1s at the same TOC level.

You do this reassignment in Insert/References/Tables and Indexes/TOC tab/Options. Once I click OK and close out, those reassigned levels should stay. But they drop out the next time I update the TOC, and once again Chapter titles and Heading 1s have the same formatting, which looks really lousy.

There may be other formatting that's dropping out (like dot leaders to the tab). I am making all changes through the Format/Styles and Formatting command. I'm not modifying paragraphs individually.

Has anyone encountered this problem and solved it? Thanks for your help.

--Nancy