Solution: Madcap Flare and field-level help

Subject: Solution: Madcap Flare and field-level help
From: "Rowena Hart" <RHart -at- ACDSystems -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 10:21:21 -0800

Hi folks,

Last week I asked if anyone on the list had found a way to establish
field-level context-sensitive help with Madcap Flare. (Flare does not
explicitly support field-level help.)

Melissa S. responded with an ingenious work-around that I thought I'd
share with this list.

1. Import your old RoboHelp project and generate an HTML Help file
(aka CHM).
2. In \Output\<username>\Temporary\Microsoft_HTML_Help\Content\
open the _Temp.hhp file with Notepad.
3. In the [MAP] section of the file, include the .h file and the
.txt file containing the field-level map IDs and text strings. For
example:

[MAP}
#include helpids.h
#include helpstrings.txt

4. In the [TEXT POPUPS] section of the file, type the file names
(without #include). For example:

[TEXT POPUPS]
helpids.h
helpstrings.txt

5. Save the file.
6. Open _Temp.hhp in HTML Help Workshop (you can download it for
free from Microsoft).
7. Compile the HTML Help file.

The only downside to this approach is that the _Temp.hhp is overwritten
every time you compile the help using Madcap Flare. So, you need to
repeat this process every time you compile the help for a build. Someone
with a bit of programming skill could easily create a script that would
insert the required text in the _Temp.hhp file; I'm not sure if a script
could launch HTML Help Workshop and compile the help, too.

Thanks again to Melissa for this work-around. We didn't want to lose all
of the work we've put into field-level help; hopefully, Madcap will add
field-level context-sensitive help support to its next release.

Cheers,

Rowena

Rowena Hart
Technical Writer
ACD Systems

T 250.544.6700 x 6784
F 250.544.0291
www.acdsee.com <http://www.acdsee.com/>

This message and any attachments are confidential, privileged or
proprietary in nature, for the use
of the intended recipient only, your receipt is not a waiver and does
not grant any rights. If you are
not the intended recipient any review, dissemination, distribution, or
copying of this communication is
strictly prohibited; please delete it and notify the sender immediately.