Re: Information Mapping

Subject: Re: Information Mapping
From: "Pro TechWriter" <pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 17:18:52 -0500

Hmmm. Well, I use "good standard" documentation techniques and Information
Mapping. It's just another methodology, neither the best nor the worst out
there. And I do have experience with it, as well as experience rewriting
Infomapped documents created by non-writers.

Infomapping does seem to help those who don't have formal writing experience
gather their thoughts and put them on paper in a coherent way. I've seen a
couple of non-technical writers here provide me with really creditable
documentation that needed some editing, but that was it.

It surprises me that you believe that all documentation created with this
methodology is "unusable." I've worked for many large and small companies
that use it--I haven't seen that many complaints, but professional writers
were using it--not non-writers.

Infomapping does have drawbacks: the template can be fussy, the presentation
is busy, and the recommendations (in my opinion) for paper documentation and
online is a bit dated. But, it is a useful tool if you need to get a whole
company or department speaking the same language and using the same method
to begin to document their procedures.

Of course, most of the places I have worked (American Airlines, Motorola,
Xerox, and so on) have modified the method to fit their environment.

Just my $.02, but I do have experience using this, have been trained in it,
and understand that it has good and bad points--not just bad ones.

PT

On 11/1/06, Traci Pearson <pearsontechcomm -at- comcast -dot- net> wrote:

Hi Ian,
I don't have any experience using Information Mapping methodologies, but I
have a lot of experience (and have made a good deal of money) fixing
(read:
rewriting) documentation written using Information Mapping. The product
that results from using Information Mapping generally seems to be almost
unusable for the average user, not nearly as good as documentation written
using good, standard documentation techniques.

My understanding of Information Mapping is that it's a "tool" for
non-writers with which to create documentation. It's attractive and
popular
because it seems so easy, not needing the effort, thoughtfulness, and
relative expertise (and expense) of "real" documentation.

Hope this helps!
Traci

At 04:39 AM 11/1/2006, you wrote:
>Does anyone have experience of using formal Information Mapping
>methodologies to produce Operational Procedures, Processes, User Guides
or
>Processes?
>
>How did the techniques help/hinder the development process?
>
>Ian Bridge
>Team Leader
>Procedural Change Service
>Capita

Traci Pearson
Pearson Technical Communication
Writing, Editing, Information Design • Print and Online
pearsontechcomm -at- comcast -dot- net
(303) 410-9101

Easily create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to any popular
Help file format or printed documentation. Learn more at
http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-
or visit
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/pro.techwriter%40gmail.com

Di
pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com
I'm a Technical Technical Writer!