RE: Question of the Day

Subject: RE: Question of the Day
From: "Evans, Diane L (Rosetta)" <diane_evans -at- merck -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 14:32:46 -0800

>Understand, I have nothing against propagating the human race. But
after
>reading the list of prohibited questions, this one still makes me
wonder.

Let me give you a woman's perspective.

We hired a programmer who was essential for getting a certain product
out on time. Six months into the job, he contracted mononucleosis. He
lost two months of work, and the product was late as a result.

During the interview, should he have been asked, "Mr. Jones, do you
think you will be six and losing two months of work any time in the next
year? If so, we don't want to hire you."

Nobody can predict when a woman will have her baby, or how much time off
she will want or need. I have worked with women who didn't go on leave
until the first labor pain; I have worked with women who were back on
the job within a couple of weeks of the birth.

Nobody can predict when a man or woman will get sick with time-consuming
diseases (like cancer), injured in an accident, or even win the lottery.
We just hire the people and hope everything goes as planned.

Diane Evans
Requirements Analyst
ASQ CSQE
Rosetta Inpharmatics
206-802-6560

John Lennon, in "Beautiful Boy": "Before you cross the street Take my
hand. Life is what happens to you While you're busy making other plans."

New Jersey, USA 08889), and/or its affiliates (which may be known
outside the United States as Merck Frosst, Merck Sharp & Dohme or MSD
and in Japan, as Banyu - direct contact information for affiliates is
available at http://www.merck.com/contact/contacts.html) that may be
confidential, proprietary copyrighted and/or legally privileged. It is
intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named on this
message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then
delete it from your system.