RE: Question of the Day

Subject: RE: Question of the Day
From: "Evans, Diane L (Rosetta)" <diane_evans -at- merck -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 07:26:52 -0800

I am sure this subject has been beaten to death, but I feel it
necessary to respond to a few of Jim's points.

>Nobody can predict when a woman will have her baby

In your scenario, the woman is due in 8 months. From personal
experience, I can tell you that the baby could arrive any time within
that period; she could even have a miscarriage the day after the
interview. Neither of my children was born at 9 months gestation, and
my tubal pregnancy came to a quick end after 10 weeks.

>There's no predicting here. Go live date = eight months. Potential
>employee will need off (if I use what you wrote above) at least 15
days.

In the end, this is a male vs. female issue. If men could get pregnant
as well as women, then perhaps things would be different.

In my opinion, though, a woman who volunteers during an interview that
she is one month pregnant is very foolish!

Diane Evans, who has experienced gender discrimination in employment
Requirements Analyst
ASQ CSQE
Rosetta Inpharmatics
206-802-6560

New Jersey, USA 08889), and/or its affiliates (which may be known
outside the United States as Merck Frosst, Merck Sharp & Dohme or MSD
and in Japan, as Banyu - direct contact information for affiliates is
available at http://www.merck.com/contact/contacts.html) that may be
confidential, proprietary copyrighted and/or legally privileged. It is
intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named on this
message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then
delete it from your system.