RE: RE: Evaluating Candidates Using Tests, Logic Questions, and Similar

Subject: RE: RE: Evaluating Candidates Using Tests, Logic Questions, and Similar
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 01:06:44 +0000

The problem I see with this is that it's one thing to
show the text to candidates and ask what techniques
might be employed to better organize the information,
another to sit candidates down at a keyboards and
expect them to magically know which bits and pieces
should be restructured and how (unless, as I said,
your "simple" text is based on subjects that the
average person needs no training or familiarization in).
If I were to take a page of a typical user guide from
my last company and change all the formatting to plain
text and run-on paragraphs, there isn't a candidate
in the world without an electrical engineering degree
and years of experience who would be able to restructure the information in a way that would make sense without
guidance from an SME or a user. If you are finding that
people with loads of experience and great references are
still not getting it, perhaps you are underestimating the
"simplicity" of your test material.

Gene Kim-Eng