RE: Evaluating Candidates Using Tests, Logic Questions, and Similar

Subject: RE: Evaluating Candidates Using Tests, Logic Questions, and Similar
From: "Dori Green" <dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 14:15:51 -0500

> If you were faced with a
> deadline, and the people that had the information you
> need were unavailable, how would you handle that?

At one company the "culture" was for the tech writers to wait until the SME
engineers went offsite for a conference/vacation/surgery and get the key to
their desk files from the Head Engineer. Had to come quickly up to speed on
some cutting-edge technology in order to be able to interpret what we found
and send intelligent questions to the engineers via secured intercompany
mail (e-mail was not considered secure enough).

The technology in question was very edgy, very vulnerable to espionage. The
engineers were reluctant to talk to anybody about it for fear of hidden
microphones. In fact, the project ended when another country was able to
steal enough info to compete and bury the US with cheaper production. I
actually enjoyed that job but I was 20 years younger -- I'm not sure if my
blood pressure meds would be up to the task today.

Dori Green