Re: "Linux is now not supported"

Subject: Re: "Linux is now not supported"
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 21:05:34 -0800

There are very few questions I can think of that I would "immediately no hire" someone just for answering a certain way. Generally, they involve committing acts of vandalism or violence against your manager.

I would also (hopefully) never ask a candidate a question as
vaguely worded as this one was (I don't believe in trick job
interview questions), but if I heard someone else ask it, as
opposed to "at the last minute management makes a major
change to the product specs," I would consider Jim Jones'
answer the optimum, followed by Joe Malin's (the one about conferencing with the key people, not the one asking
if the company had been taken over by Oracle). An answer that suggests the candidate would respond to "Jump!" by asking "How high?" without first verifying who had said it and why would definitely be a negative, though not
necessarily a fatal one. Maybe if the candidate's resume or cover letter had claimed the candidate could actually read minds...

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrew Warren" <awarren -at- synaptics -dot- com>

Come on, John... Lots of interviewers would ask that question WANTING to see whether the candidate tries to get more information before jumping in with a solution. Here, for example, is a guy who'd immediately no-hire anyone who responded the way you suggested