Re: How we define ourselves

Subject: Re: How we define ourselves
From: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: Huey Callison <huey -dot- callison -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 18:30:21 -0800

Huey Callison wrote:

mlist -at- safenet-inc -dot- com wrote:
Al Geist [mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com] couldn't resist:
> Huey Callison wrote:

Instruction works only when read, and even then, it's iffy.

If anybody has a solution for that particular sticky wicket, I'd love
to hear it. And "make 'em sign it in blood" has already been tried.

I recently worked as sidekick to a Requirements Analyst on a Java Application Development team. The method for gathering client-endorsed requirements was to hold all-day JAD sessions in a medium-sized conference room filled with the client's stakeholder managers. On day one, the analyst began the work by starting from the top of a patchy Requirements document, and reading it aloud as it scrolled on a laptop and was projected on the wall.

Any questions (especially from the analyst) were a reason to stop the reading and wait for any stakeholders to self-identify themselves as someone whose staff was affected or somehow responsible for the requirement. Lots of action items resulted from this daily crawl through the document.
Because the project was of a major size, the JAD sessions went on daily, all day, for weeks. It was everything an analyst could hope for, with the stakeholders providing critical oversight of each others' sometimes-incomplete or erroneous views of the project.
What was my role? Well, I was brought on after a phone interview, given a 60-minute overview of the project (because I felt I would need it, and so insisted), and was then relegated to scrolling the document and typing in additions or changes, in real time, during the meetings. The room full observed my typing and called out corrections for me.
The process was powerful testimony to the variety of options available for getting a signed-off document.
Ad astra.

Ned Bedinger
doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com