Nested procedures

Subject: Nested procedures
From: "Kate Stout" <KStout -at- bcgi -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 14:34:43 -0500

Or a compromise... Which even makes some sense from a usability
perspective.
What if the interior steps were a. b. c., rather than 1. 2. 3. or 7. 8.
9.
This makes their "substep" nature clear.

That is:
Continue with the following:
| To... | Do this... |
| Some action | Some step |
| Some action | a. Step one |
| | b. Step two |
| | c. Step three |
| Some action | Some step |
-----------
From: <Christian -dot- Walters -at- cox -dot- com>
Subject: Tables inside numbered lists
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
<8720A864484AB04082CD55A4AEAADAB602E4DFE5 -at- CATL0MS01 -dot- corp -dot- cox -dot- com>

Hi everyone,
I've got a stubborn project manager, and I need help either finding ammo
to shoot her down with, or finding out that I'm wrong-headed about this.

We have a book of procedures, and many of those procedures have a table
inside. And some of those table cells have small embedded procedures.
So we're talking about something like this:

6. Continue with the following:
| To... | Do this... |
| Some action | Some step |
| Some action | 1. Step one |
| | 2. Step two |
| | 3. Step three |
| Some action | Some step |
7. Next step.

To me, this is common sense. But this project manager is insisting on:

6. Continue with the following:
| To... | Do this... |
| Some action | Some step |
| Some action | 7. Step one |
| | 8. Step two |
| | 9. Step three |
| Some action | Some step |
10. Next step.

So. Should I let her have her way? Or should I stand my ground on
readability? And if so, are there studies or anything I can show her
besides my insistence?

Thanks for any advice, y'all :)

The information contained in this e-mail message and any
attachments is confidential, and is intended only for the use of
the party to whom it is addressed. This message and any attachments
herein are subject to scanning and may be monitored at any time for
review. If you are not the above-named intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any dissemination, copying or disclosure of
this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this communication in error, please notify Boston Communications
Group, Inc. immediately by replying to this message or by
telephoning (781) 904-5000, and destroy this message and its
attachments, without making any copy or distribution.