RE: what is IM's preference? (was:"Next"or "the following"... ))

Subject: RE: what is IM's preference? (was:"Next"or "the following"... ))
From: "Dori Green" <dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 16:24:02 -0500

Russell Brasel wrote:

I still don't get the hype about IM...
Better to hire a TW on a contract basis if you don't want one full-time.

It is important to remember that soooooo muuuuucchchch documentation is
being prepared by non-writers who Have Not Clue Firstest.

Of course it's better if firms hire "real" technical writers. Mine knew
kinda sorta what they needed but didn't have Clue Firstest about where to
start looking. There is still a _lot_ of opportunity for STC (and us) to
educate the world about What Technical Writers Do.

I got this job because of my marketing strategy of applying for any job
wherever there might be _any_ fit so that I could get my resume in front of
the actual hiring manager. Then I did a good sales job, and now I have the
job of my dreams. Some days I have to remind myself of this, as in any job,
but it's mostly true.

Lots of very bad writers are being hired for tech writing jobs because there
just are not enough good writers to go around. Lots of "writers", not a lot
of "good writers". Many secretaries and QC technicians are doing the work
of technical writers (without the title or pay) because there are not enough
good tech writers to go around (and because some companies are just unfair
and cheap). This will continue as long as there are unfair and cheap
companies, and people to whom a job-any-job is important enough to stay
where they are being abused.

#1 I say IMI found a niche and filled it. Good for them!

#2 I just attended their Webinar on compliance, and I'll attend more. All
of my own interactions with them have been professional and helpful, with
timely follow-ups by phone and e-mail but in a helpful and conversational
way rather than as a sales push, and always without that irritating "hype"
component. They would love to sell us their system, and they get it
completely that we might not want it or be ready for it quite yet, but
they're professional and helpful anyway.

If and when it makes sense for us to look at a system like theirs, they will
probably be my first choice. Your mileage may vary.

Dori Green
Technical Writer, QMS Project
Associated Brands, Inc.
Medina, NY Facility