Review Process for CHM File

Subject: Review Process for CHM File
From: "Kamran Rasool" <krasool -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 01:10:40 +0800

Hi Guys,

How is it possible to get the CHM file reviewed? For example a complex
product may have 400 pages of help document. As we all know that help docs
in CHM format are actually a distributed structure of books, sections and
subsections. For instance, let's say that folders are broken down to 250 and
total number of files are 1300. Each file is one HTML page written in
MS-Word.

Now my question is how can I get this help doc reviewed by sales and
marketing, engineers and quality engineers? Where and When do we control the
content of the CHM file? How we get it reviewed and updated while authors
are constantly writing in Realtime using VSS? Complicated right :(? I know I
really need some help here.....

It is usually so easy to get a word doc reviewed by all three departments
cause we have Track changes in MS-Word and then convert this word doc to pdf
for onward delivery to customers. Also, not everyone is famaliar with
Robohelp or other HATs so not everyone can use a HAT to edit or review the
changes for HTML docs? Plus there are so many broken document pages that
need to be reviewed. On the top of that my company cannot afford to have so
many licenses for Robohelp, Flare V2 or Doc-to-help for giving it out to
marking guys so they may edit/review the help file.

Wish I had one doc to get reviewed with 200 pages would be easier for me :(
but this is not possible, Software group wants the document to be delivered
as a help file. I tried convincing them that we should use MS-Word cause it
is easier to get the reviewes done this way but the problem is our Software
peers are using Visual SourceSafe and they constantly keep on making
changes. So by the time I will convert everything in to Word again and make
a PDF most of the content will already be changed. They suggest that I
should make a help file using Robohelp, so whenever there will be any
changes it will be easier to incorporte those into the CHM file and update
it. Sounds great....but this brings the issue of getting the reviewes done
from marking guys, engineers (SMEs) and quality engineers.

My major concern here is to get all the reviewes done without
disturbing marketing guys and engineers, most of our colleagues are spread
around the world so we can't printout the whole thing and request them to
review it on paper. This has to happen electronically, again we can't scan
them or fax them due to the large number of pages.

Since we have a Content Managemenr System it is our company's
policy everything needs to be reviewed and approved before delivery. And I
can't figure out how to get the reviewes done when I have everything in a
distributed CHM format.

What do you guys suggest?

Kamran