Re: Documentation estimates

Subject: Re: Documentation estimates
From: John Garison <john -at- garisons -dot- com>
To: Robert Landry <robert -dot- landry -at- rapt -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 15:49:48 -0500

I am making a perhaps unwarranted assumption here that you are working for a startup company. Not many other places would have two products being developed in a a 7 month timeframe by a sole, newly hired writer.

In my experience in startups (10+ years) my "doc plan" consisted of finding out what was needed, when the due date was, and telling my boss (the VP) that he'd have what he needed when he needed it, that it would be full of accurate content, written clearly, and as concise as it could be. Then I started the work. I didn't take time to work out a detailed doc plan, or to come up with writing schedules or page counts. Instead, we met daily in team meetings every morning, I got ideas about what was needed and pitched them to the VP as well as the development and QA managers, and we got on with doing it. We all worked closely together so there were few surprises and we were all proud of what we delivered (except the QA manager who, in the last few days prior to release, had a gun held to his head when it came to deciding which bugs would be fixed and which were 'acceptable' to ship with). And I got nothing but attaboys from everyone - CEO on down.

My 2¢,

John Garison

PS - Granted, when the group got bigger and I had several writers to manage, we did a more formal job of planning.

Robert Landry wrote:

I am just wrapping up two different projects at a relatively new job
where I am a full time employee, and the sole writer (7 months). Both
projects included user guides, online help, release notes, high level
specs for sales contracts. At the beginning of the project, like many of
us do, I wrote a documentation spec containing an outline, page count
and graphic/image count estimates, writing days, review days, etc.
Just wondering what experienced writers consider "good estimates." I
think my final page counts came in at +/- 10% of my original estimates.
I'm a fairly experienced writer...just wondering if I should be proud or
ashamed!! Cuz...ya know...I have to spin it to the VP...