Documentation estimates

Subject: Documentation estimates
From: "Robert Landry" <robert -dot- landry -at- rapt -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 11:43:07 -0800

I am just wrapping up two different projects at a relatively new job
where I am a full time employee, and the sole writer (7 months). Both
projects included user guides, online help, release notes, high level
specs for sales contracts. At the beginning of the project, like many of
us do, I wrote a documentation spec containing an outline, page count
and graphic/image count estimates, writing days, review days, etc.

Just wondering what experienced writers consider "good estimates." I
think my final page counts came in at +/- 10% of my original estimates.
I'm a fairly experienced writer...just wondering if I should be proud or
ashamed!! Cuz...ya know...I have to spin it to the VP...

Cheers!

Robert J. Landry

Senior Technical Writer

Rapt Inc.

415-932-2687 (office)

robert -dot- landry -at- rapt -dot- com

<mailto:robert -dot- landry -at- rapt -dot- com>