RE: Your Start Date Ever Changed?

Subject: RE: Your Start Date Ever Changed?
From: "Poshedly, Ken" <PoshedlyK -at- polysius -dot- com>
To: "Richard Lewis" <tech44writer -at- yahoo -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 08:44:00 -0500

Yep, and as promising as it originally looked, it all fell down.

Day 1, Friday:
9:30 a.m. -- Receive call from nationally known temp agency for tech
writer to begin at client location this coming Monday morning (3 days
later); "Are you available?"

9:35 - 10 a.m. -- Play telephone tag with an extremely promising
prospect of my own which refused to tip its hand as to interest in me
(after three interviews and promise to give me a definitive call yea /
nay two days earlier).

10 a.m. -- Phone temp agency, give it the go-ahead.

2 p.m. -- Complete paperwork at temp agency office; also told start date
moved back to Wednesday (5 days from first contact; so much for
"emergency need").

*********************

Day 2, The Following Tuesday (4 days after first contact):
4:45 p.m. -- Return from round trip from home to the client location and
back for workday drive time estimate; phone call to client and left
message asking about first day equipment needs, etc.

5:10 p.m. -- Phone call from client thanking me for my call, adding that
job is no longer contract but fulltime permanent and would I interview
the following Monday morning. Definitely.

*********************

Day 3, The Following Monday (10 days after first contact):
9 a.m. -- Good interview (in my estimation) with VP of sales; he asked
me to meet with his boss, the CEO, later the same day. Definitely.

2 p.m. -- Met with CEO; this interview was obviously just for him to
"see" me; not really interested in resume and portfolio; nothing
outstanding either way occurred here.

Days 4 - 7, Tuesday - Friday (11 - 14 days after first contact):
Follow-up calls to temp agency on hiring status; they couldn't even get
a straight answer.

Day 8, The Following Monday (17 days after first contact):
Word from temp agency, client hired a "friend of the vp of sales".

"So, tell me about this emergency need you have . . ." Bull____!

-- Ken in Atlanta