Re: Your Start Date Ever Changed?

Subject: Re: Your Start Date Ever Changed?
From: "Pro TechWriter" <pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Richard Lewis" <tech44writer -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 10:57:53 -0500

Yes, more than once :-)

It may be that all the folks that should be helping you get up to speed will
be gone over the holiday. It may also be that the money for this quarter is
gone. :-)

Usually, though, it's the first one: you will be sitting around twiddling
your thumbs with nothing to do if they bring you on now. If you trust your
recruiter (you are working with a contract firm you trust, right?) I
wouldn't worry too much about this. The contracting firms usually know what
the reason is. Did you ask? I'd err on the side of believing them at this
point. It's probably too late to do much job searching and it's only two
weeks until your start date. Maybe you can find a quick freelance job in the
meantime--there are a lot listed on the freelance boards right now--I've
seen a bunch of short term stuff on the freelancer boards like
hireacoder.com (Google technical writing jobs).

My husband has a great saying for this situation: Never attribute to malice
what can be attributed to stupidity. :-)

Good luck!
PT

On 12/16/06, Richard Lewis <tech44writer -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

Hi all:

Has your start date for a contract assignment ever been delayed, and you
felt funny about it? Such just happened to me; my start date was just
delayed from mid Dec to Jan 2.

Let me play devil's advocate: One might think that they knew all along
that the start date was Jan 2, but, they lied and gave me the earlier start
date in an attempt to knock me out of job searching weeks before the actual
start date. After all at this point, I have already emotionally committed
to the job and, as the holidays are now upon us, why not just take it easy
until Jan 2.

Experiences?

Thanks,

Richard Lewis

http://mail.yahoo.com

printed documentation. Features include single source authoring, team
authoring,

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-
or visit
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/pro.techwriter%40gmail.com

PT
pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com
I'm a Technical Technical Writer!