Re: Writing Test

Subject: Re: Writing Test
From: "Pro TechWriter" <pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 16:21:28 -0500

Good points!

I got a query from someone off list about recommending technical writing
tests.

My recommendations: If you have to test, I recommend something that you are
actually working on, that has already been documented), such as software in
a test environment. If it is proprietary, you can ask them to sign a
non-disclosure agreement.

In my 20+ year career, I have only been tested twice. I don't usually test
technical writers when I have hired them (I've been a manager several
times), but instead talk about:

- What is their approach to writing, and what are their methods?
- I look at their samples, and then I show something that we've done
and ask what they think? What do they like, what would they do differently?
- What are their grammar pet peeves?
- How do they feel about working from standards, and have they
participated in writing any?
- Do they have a favorite reference, or several favorite references?
- What do they use for a "final say" if they need to make a decision
about style? What about negotiating with other writers on style matters?
- Can they edit other's work? Can they self edit? Take suggestions
from another editing their work?
- How do they handle getting information from subject matter experts,
especially the balky ones?
- Have they ever worked on a joint writing project where all the
writing had to look like it came from one person? How did they handle that?

The best technical writers I have worked with have no problem with looking
something up, and usually they have a favorite standard or several (Chicago
Manual of Style, and so on). They were interesting in learning new things.
The worst technical writers I have worked with didn't ever look anything up,
or used no standard reference at all, and resisted or ignored standards
altogether.

Writing style can be taught, but an open mind and cooperative spirit cannot
be.

Kind Regards,
PT

On 12/15/06, Dori Green <dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com> wrote:

Do we need a "writing test", or are we trying to establish core
competencies
for a TW candidate?

1. Knows standard proofreader's symbols
2. Knows about Strunk & White's little book
3. Knows what a "format guide" is (MLA, APA, Chicago)
4. Can edit 5-10 sentences of varying complexity
5. Types with more than two fingers
6. How do they tackle SME non-response
(do they literally tackle the SME or are they capable of a more subtle
but effective tactic?)

They will have submitted writing samples before the interview, and I will
have some questions ready to help me confirm to my own satisfaction that
the
candidate really was the author.

I might also give them a list of five technical subjects, ask them to pick
one and write a paragraph about it in ten or fifteen minutes.

BTW -- this has been a very helpful thread for me! I haven't interviewed
TW
candidates for quite a while, but I might see if I can get a summer intern
this year -- probably a high school or junior college kid -- so I'm
looking
at much more basic levels than I do when I'm looking at a candidate who
already holds a techcomm degree. Gosh, those "core competency" items do
apply across the board!

Dori Green

printed documentation. Features include single source authoring, team
authoring,

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-
or visit
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/pro.techwriter%40gmail.com

PT
pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com
I'm a Technical Technical Writer!