RE: [FREELANCE] X-posted, Typewriter/type question

Subject: RE: [FREELANCE] X-posted, Typewriter/type question
From: "John McDermott" <jjm -at- jkintl -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 09:47:17 -0700

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 00:00:18 -0700, <techwr-l-request -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com> wrote:

Colleagues,
-- i'd like to find a typewriter i can slip in a coat pocket while
backpacking -- does such a thing exist? -- i need something that doesn't
require electricity that will produce clean printed text on 8.5x11 paper
sheets and that is v. portable --

You would need pretty big pockets for most "small" manual typewriters I've seen. Personally, I'd go with:
PDA or pda phone with folding keyboard
Small portable printer
fold-up or preferably roll-up solar cell
(or one of those cool solar cell backpacks)

I know this does not strictly meet the "does not require electricity" but it does not require wall current to charge. You can probably find most of this on ebay.

Some advantages:
You can draw on the PDA screen
You can use handwriting or the folding keyboard
You can record your voice if you are too tired to type
You have a backup if you run out of paper or whatever
You can put different things in different pockets.

--john

--
John McDermott, CPLP, CCP
Writer, Educator, Consultant