Re: MS Word Question

Subject: Re: MS Word Question
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "Brasel, Russell" <russell -dot- brasel -at- hccredit -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 11:51:58 -0500

Brasel, Russell wrote:

I'm working with a large document (over 200 pages) in MS Word 2003, and
I need to reformat text from Heading 3 to Body Text. I can't do a
simple select all Heading 3s and change them in Styles and Formatting,
because I have a lot of Heading 3's that need to remain that way. (By
the way, this doc is my source for a Doc-to-Help project.)

For example, I have this recurring text, "Domain Restrictions," (70+
instances) and I want to change it from H3 to Body Text. I also have 4
other text headings like this, so you can see why I want to do it
automatically rather than one by one. I really don't want to be here
Saturday afternoon.

And what's the challenge? In the Find/Replace dialog, you can specify both the text to search for (e.g., Domain Restrictions) and the paragraph style to search for. Replace it with the same text in the the desired new paragraph style. Repeat for the other four headings, and you're done. If you have hundreds of files to do this in and it's going to be a recurring issue, it's easy to build a macro to do all five of the headings in one macro.