Newsletter format

Subject: Newsletter format
From: "Kate Stout" <KStout -at- bcgi -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 09:47:32 -0500

I feel like we've gone the wrong path about what the best format is.
First, what are you trying to accomplish?
Is your newsletter a way for your company to tell your customers how to
use your product in new and interesting ways?
Are you pushing info to a captive audience who should commit this info
to memory :-)?
Is it to share information with your customers that will lead them to
your site to buy something?
Do you want to dazzle them with your company's approach to some problem,
so that they'll turn to you when they need consulting services?
Etc...
The goals drive the content, and then the format. I get a lot of
newsletters. One of my favorites gives a tease link that can take you to
a list of related articles that occurs on the one substantial article by
an expert, and at the end of the article, a list of additional articles
(which you can reach from the link on the top).

Another good one looks more like an RSS feed - A paragraph that
summarizes, or a great opening sentence, with a link to the site.

There's no "one true way". But don't make me go off the newsletter to
get anything of value.

Good luck