RE: Younger tech writers?

Subject: RE: Younger tech writers?
From: "Chris McQueen" <chrism -at- docutechcorp -dot- com>
To: "Nancy Allison" <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 17:13:58 -0700

Nancy:

Yes, there are young tech writers, they just don't know it yet. I'm 26,
which I consider young for this industry. But, I don't think you should
look for people like me to be the upcoming generation. I think the new
generation is a more sophisticated group that needs a change and wants
more control over their schedule, environment, and income.

The problem seems to be that people look at deliverables (computers,
homes, stores, etc.) and say, "I want to do that." Which equates to
getting a degree in Computer Science, Construction Management, or
Business Management. Honestly, few look at the manual to their vacuum
or software and say, "Wow, that looks like fun."

Most of a tech writer's work is not accessible to the public. There's
no deliverable to enchant a young mind. People in college want an
exciting environment with an obvious deliverable. I still do. Many of
us fall into the profession because we like to write and we know
something. So, if we're interested in recruiting a new generation we
can market our deliverables such that they are interesting and
attractive to the public (don't ask me how you do that, sounds tough).
Or, we market our deliverables to the professionals that already 'know
something' and want to tell people what that 'something' is or make that
'something' easier to use.

I'm sure I've over-simplified this, but I think it's a valid theory
explaining why Tech Writers, in general, are not pouring out of colleges
across the country. So, to answer the question, "Is there a new
generation of Tech Writer?" Yes, they just don't look like the kids on
campus. They look more like the professional walking down the street
that's ready to get out of their current position where they never see
the deliverable because they're six or seven levels down the food chain
entering TPS reports into SharePoint.

My dad, a developer for 27 years, just lost his job. I told him to
start looking for Tech Writing jobs. He writes clearly and thinks like
a developer. Sure he'd have to learn some tools, but he's spent his
whole career learning things, he can learn another. I think he's the
new generation. Anybody want his resume?

- Chris