Re: Getting Hired...Opinion #2500

Subject: Re: Getting Hired...Opinion #2500
From: "Damien Braniff" <Damien -dot- Braniff -at- asg -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 08:50:39 -0000

No resume/CV I've written has ever got me a job (as far as I know) and
I'd guess the same applies to most people. However, a resume/CV CAN be
responsible for not getting a job.

Basically, the function of your covering letter and Resume is to get
your foot in the door and get you the interview. That's where you get
the job, where you sell yourself and your skills/talent to the company.

So, for me, what the covering letter + resume MUST do is:

1 Show that you meet the job requirement (or can learn quickly -
e.g. new tool)

2 Show experience to back up (1) - documented APIs at XYZ etc

3 Provide a sample of your writing - should be neat, ordered etc.

4 Give, hopefully, some 'feeling' for yourself, personality etc.

That's all they have to do, size doesn't matter. For everyone it's a
judgement call based on your own experiences - what works for you. I
have a 1 page summary, a couple of more detailed versions (2-5 pages),
skills/tools summary... When applying I choose what I feel is suitable
for the position - could be a covering letter, summary and long(er)
version, it could be the covering letter and 2-page version - as is so
often the case in TW, it depends :-)

Damien

Damien Braniff
Sr. Technical Writer