RE: Contracting and Health Insurance

Subject: RE: Contracting and Health Insurance
From: "Poshedly, Ken" <PoshedlyK -at- polysius -dot- com>
To: <beth -dot- tripp -at- verizon -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 12:11:10 -0500

I recall this thread a few weeks (months?) ago.

As you might have already ascertained from other responses to your
questions here, one big downside of being self-employed (via either a
self-owned corporation or just you yourself winging it independently) is
finding and KEEPING affordable health insurance.

Right now here in metro Atlanta, there is a TV commercial that runs just
about every hour on almost any station you watch. The TV ad urges
everybody to stop taking abuse, be your own boss and run your own
company. OK, so here I am - out in the cold seeking work to provide me
with money for food, clothing and shelter, but also seeking protection
from financial catastrophe brought on by illness / injury.

Can I find affordable health care for small (one- or two-person)
companies like mine? Yep. At least for the first year or until I file a
claim.

I've talked to a number of independent contractors (both individuals or
small companies) that have learned the hard way what my now-retired
insurance salesman cousin told me: "The business of insurance is to NOT
pay." One would think that processing and paying claims ethically and
properly would cause a company to grow because of word-of-mouth positive
stories.

But instead, it's "Give 'em a low-ball first-year premium, then blow
them out of the sky at the first claim."

And this isn't for only tech writers, but any profession.

One of the engineers here who contracts independently told me his own
premium-went-sky-high story. And the guy is 50 (I think), in pretty good
health, but last year had a routine physical, etc.

KAPOW!!! Up went the premium. He and his wife (whose employer does not
offer health insurance) purchase their own Blue Cross / Blue Shield
health coverage. It costs them a hell of a lot.

He told me the way it goes is like this:

1. Their first-year premium 4 years ago was about $275 per month each
(but billed as a single premium).

2. The premium increased markedly at the one-year anniversary.

3. The premium increased again markedly at next anniversary renewal AND
even more when his age hit a multiple of 5 (age 50).

4. The premium increased again markedly at next anniversary renewal AND
even more when his WIFE's age hit a multiple of 5 (age 45 I think).

5. The premium will increase again markedly at next anniversary renewal
AND even more when the policy hits a multiple of 5 years.

He knows his monthly premium (for he and his wife) will be about $1,400.

Is it legal? Yep. Is it right? I'd say no, and even lots of insurance
company staffers agree with me. But you can't fight the system.

There are only so many health providers and plans to go through before
it's obvious that the options for health care for the small-time
operator are few and far between.

Insurance companies see us (small-time operators) as nothing more than a
money pit.

Where's the money? In high-number employee "pools" where the cost of
doing business is diluted.

And now I run the risk of being accused of being anti-business.