Re: Techie's List

Subject: Re: Techie's List
From: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 13:51:24 -0800

Dick Margulis wrote:

James Barrow wrote:
With all this talk about recruitment agencies, and which ones are good or
bad, I'm wondering what value there would be in a site like Angie's List:

<http://www.angieslist.com/AngiesList/>

A place where a tech writer - maybe IT consultants in general - could go to
view feedback and opinions regarding recruitment agencies.

Sounds like an open invitation for libel lawsuits. I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole.

Better Business Bureau has a productive model, both for providing public reports about businesses, and for dispute resolution involving consumer and B2B complaints. I've found that they're effective, AND they get some funding from the US Department of Commerce.

Contractors could follow suit (heh) and create an organization to manage our collective memory about recruiters/agencies/clients, and to advocate for our needs, mediate disputes, and generally drive the chill out of these dark corners of our working lives.
To get started, we'd need a website with webmaster and developers, some phone lines, ... , lawyers, grant writers, negotiators, lobbyists, and maybe a few incidentals like office space in every state and country, a group insurance plan (optional), and a volunteer Board to organize and arrange it all. It'd be fun! Who's up for forming an exploratory committee?
Dick., I hope we can count on you to volunteer your skills. In fact, I think every one of us contractors should be willing to contribute to the effort.
We'll need a name. Obviously, I'm too busy with the vision thing to do any creative work. Who's got a name for us? All I can think of is BCB--the Blacklisted Contractors Bureau. I don't think that really captures the spirit of our mission, does it?
Oh, we'll be needing a mission statement too. Anyone have experience with mission statements?

I'll summarize off-line responses to the list.