Re: Techie's List

Subject: Re: Techie's List
From: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: "Tariel, Lauren R" <lt34 -at- saclink -dot- csus -dot- edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 16:40:49 -0800

Lauren wrote:

Does the Better Business Bureau list all businesses or just their members that have signed ADR agreements?

-------

I don't know, sorry. The view I've seen is summary statistics in a BBB-produced report by industry. One of the industries summarized for the US is Employment Agencies--Temporary, which produced over 300 complaints in a recent year, of which BBB resolved 60%+, and found less than 10% un-pursuable. The number of reports requested in that same years for that industry was 7000+. There isn't info about whether hiring companies or temporary employees were asking for the report. I also can't say whether these Agencies were placing ditch diggers or software testers or what.
My experience using BBB for professional contracts is zilch, but I don't see why W2 contracting (if not 1099) wouldn't fall into some Temp Employment category. BBB does say they don't handle certain types of employment disputes (discrimination or other litigious areas where state agencies rule).

I used BBB several years ago to contact my wireless phone carrier when the wireless company's snot-nosed Customer Service and indifferent Tech Support had both failed to do anything about my specific complaint about a specific service I was paying for but not receiving. BBB involvement got, from my carrier, the attention I wanted, with bells on it.
I recall looking through more informative BBB data related to my work, but don't recall what it was or where I found it. Have a look at the bbb.com web site (dispute resolution topic) for the report I mentioned.

Ned Bedinger
doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com

Tariel, Lauren R wrote:

Does the Better Business Bureau list all businesses or just their members that have signed ADR agreements?
"BCB--the Blacklisted Contractors Bureau" Ooooh. Can I be the mascot?
Lauren