RE: Current trends in Authoring Tools?

Subject: RE: Current trends in Authoring Tools?
From: "Al Geist" <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 10:31:46 -0500

Dan Goldstein wrote:

I can see how you might use Word instead of FrameMaker, but RoboHelp and
Flare? Are you using Word as a standalone HAT?

I agree with Dan. Word has been used at a number of companies I've worked
at as the main document development tool, and I only saw it once used for
Help creation. It wasn't a pretty sight and everything ultimately had be
redone using the right tool. In this case it was RoboHelp; although,
Doc-to-Help would have worked. (Flare wasn't around yet.)

A lot of companies use Word only because they don't know anything else, or
they flinch at purchasing a new tool for document development. Is Word the
best tool....not by a long shot, but it will work if you have the time to
get over it's limitations and idiosyncrasies. As for companies moving away
from FrameMaker, Flare, RoboHelp to Word....I'd like to see statistics on
that.

Al