RE: Video vs The Written Word

Subject: RE: Video vs The Written Word
From: "Al Geist" <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 08:45:13 -0500

Ditto on what Peter wrote; although, I watch a little TV every night. I'd
like to add that in many cases the hype over video comes from individuals
with home video cameras and a new computer that includes video creation
software. "It's easy, I just did a video of little Johnny picking his nose
for the first time," says the new video mogul...

It's easy to make crap, but it takes a lot of work to make something of
value. I've done a number of videos in my varied career. In all cases, you
need a roadmap of the video long before production begins. A draft script
needs to be developed, along with storyboards of shots needed to support the
script. You need to find talent to do the speaking parts, or better talent
if you intend to have someone actually act on screen. You can use in-house
talent, but often the end product looks like it was done in-house, and if
you want credibility, your end product better look professional.

I'm not trying to discourage using video to teach technical concepts, but
before you jump on the video bandwagon, someone needs to do a lot more
research. Look at some of Peter's points with the understanding that if you
make a mistake, it cost a lot more than replacing a screen shot and fiddling
with some of the content.

Al

Peter Neilson wrote:

Advantages:
- WTFV may be easier to enforce than RTFM.
- Some people cannot read.
- Some people can but do not read.
- SMEs may believe their work is done when they've mumbled before a
camera.

Disadvantages:
- Very hard to update.
- Bohhhring videos are bohhhhhhhhring.
- Snazzy videos are often content free.
- Hard to discuss the three major points in an hour-long video without
re-watching the entire video. (You can't just turn to the second top-level
head, but instead have to hunt for it in the unscripted ramblings that pass
for video documentation.)
- If the quality is poor (as it usually is in amateur videos) each viewer
must perform the sifting and integration work normally done by a tech
writer. May have to invent questions to ask to learn material that should
have been covered but wasn't.
- The handout for the video, if any, becomes the outline of the document
that should have been written.
- If the quality is to be high, it'll cost as least as much to get it
right as it does to write a set of docs.

Pitfalls:
- In any crime, the principle question is "Cui bono?" Who wants the
videos, and what do they (personally) gain?

Maybe I am too old and out of touch. I have not watched TV since about 1985.