RE: Shift + Enter

Subject: RE: Shift + Enter
From: Cloy Tobola <cloy -dot- tobola -at- ndsu -dot- edu>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 12:47:28 -0600

Lauren raises a good point...

In Word, I created the following five macros and assigned them to buttons on my toolbar:
- remove double spaces (replace [space][space] with [space])
- remove spaces at end of lines (replace [space]^p with ^p)
- remove spaces at beginning of lines (replace ^p[space] with ^p)
- remove tabs at the ends of lines (replace ^t^p with ^p)
- remove double paragraphs (replace ^p^p with ^p)

It's important to run the macros in that order and to run them multiple times, until no instances are found.

I run these on virtually every document I edit, and it saves a lot of time.

-Cloy

Lauren wrote:

Hi Shannon,

Did anyone mention that empty paragraphs can mess up pagination? I think
that recent editions of Word suppress the empty paragraphs at the top of the
page, but I have been able to see that somebody used empty paragraphs
because the top margin would change when I looked at a printed document.
Also page breaks would sometimes be in strange places, like just *after* a
heading because somebody wanted more space between headings and paragraphs.

I remove all empty paragraphs when I get a document to edit. I don't like
that pagination gets mess up. I also don't like that the empty paragraphs
tend to have different styles based on the location of the cursor when the
paragraph was inserted. I really don't like that when I change a style,
those empty paragraphs stick out and cause unpleasant and unnecessary gaps.
Additionally, it is annoying to have to look for these things to see if they
are causing problems and delete them if the convention is retained or run a
replace to delete them all. People who use empty paragraphs do not seem as
concerned about layout as I do. I do not use empty paragraphs primarily
because I want to control pagination and paragraph spacing with styles,
format, and layout options. Empty paragraphs interefere with all three of
these.

Lauren