Re: Press this, or just Press

Subject: Re: Press this, or just Press
From: "Kathleen MacDowell" <kathleen -at- writefortheuser -dot- com>
To: "Janice Gelb" <janice -dot- gelb -at- sun -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 08:03:33 -0600

Perhaps I was unclear (or perhaps I don't understand you)--the text content
does provide instructions. The figures are to show specific areas, buttons,
etc. It's redundant of course, but often, if people are familiar with the
actual type of product being used, the figures are an alternate set of
instructions.

Your point about the hands is interesting--I'll be sure to bring this up for
any translators. I'd expect them to be able to provide alerts for anything
like that.

Regards,

Kathleen

On 3/1/07, Janice Gelb <janice -dot- gelb -at- sun -dot- com> wrote:

Kathleen MacDowell wrote:
> Until recently I've used the call outs to identify a component and
> explained what one does with the components in the body rather than the
> figure.
>
> However, recently I've been setting up a series of instructions that can
be
> pretty complex, so I'm using another set of figures with (primarily)
step
> indicators, including a hand. In these situations I have a brief
statement
> such as "Confirming deletion" in the key. I should note though, that we
> are
> using letters and numbers for our callouts to aid in translation. IMHO,
> it's
> important to be careful with text in figures, because it can mess it up
so
> much that it's useless.

Is there some reason why you are unable to
provide instructions in text underneath
the figure, rather than trying to do so with
callouts or sets of figures with step indicators?
Also, I would be wary of hand illustrations as
hand positions mean different things in different
countries.

-- Janice

--
Kathleen MacDowell