Re: Press this, or just Press

Subject: Re: Press this, or just Press
From: Janice Gelb <janice -dot- gelb -at- sun -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 10:42:15 +1100

Kathleen MacDowell wrote:

Perhaps I was unclear (or perhaps I don't understand you)--the text content
does provide instructions. The figures are to show specific areas, buttons,
etc. It's redundant of course, but often, if people are familiar with the
actual type of product being used, the figures are an alternate set of
instructions.

The reason I assumed you didn't have text
content providing instructions was your
question about using verbs in callouts. If
you are already providing text instructions,
then I would have thought that the only text
you would need in the callouts would be the
names of things. Unless the GUI is particularly
confusing, I wouldn't even think you'd need
that type of callout, frankly, especially
given the difficulties with translating them.

-- Janice

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with
janice -dot- gelb -at- sun -dot- com | this message is the return address