Re: [TCP] certification (was: ranting STC)

Subject: Re: [TCP] certification (was: ranting STC)
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "John Posada" <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>, "Nancy Allison" <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>, "Dubin, David" <David -dot- Dubin -at- sage -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 09:13:06 -0800

If I were looking to bring in someone to do this, I might be
interested in certifications related to a candidate's background
in IT or ecommerce, if any. Otherwise, the only candidates
I'd be interested in would be people with those "contracts
at dozens of companies," assuming that there was someone
from each of those companies who'd be willing to sing the
candidate's praises.

I think the real value of certifications would be to a company
that was looking to hire some entry-level candidates, either
for budget reasons or because it preferred to hire such people
and indoctrinate them to its own methods of work. In such a
case a cert for tool usage and basic writing skills might be of
some use in distinguishing promising newbies.

Gene Kim-Eng