RE: [TCP] certification (was: ranting STC)

Subject: RE: [TCP] certification (was: ranting STC)
From: "Dubin, David" <David -dot- Dubin -at- sage -dot- com>
To: "Nancy Allison" <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 15:15:24 -0000

Nancy,
I understand what you are saying, and don't disagree with your premise,
however, not all TWs do contract work, many are, or wish to be employed
by an enterprise on a full time basis. Because of this, they must go
through the applicant process, which for many companies today, includes
an electronic scan of the resume that looks for specifics such as
degrees and certifications. Those resumes that do not contain text on a
required degree or specialized certification, are NOT passed on to the
HR person for review. One of my certifications is as a PHR (Professional
in Human Resources) so I am well acquainted with this, in addition to
the fact that Sage produces recruiting software that does just that.

Due to the high degree of competition in many job markets for TWs, if
you don't meet the minimum qualifications, you don't get your foot in
the door, let alone to the level of hiring manager interview.
Additionally, more and more companies that have hired TWs (and
curriculum developers) as contract employees (1099 wages), are
withholding permission from contract employees to use the work the TW
did for the enterprise as a sample for proprietary reasons.

Would certification "simply become another manipulable criterion for
hiring, paying, and firing. . ." is anyone's guess. I do not doubt that
could happen, but let's face it, a manipulative employer will manipulate
whatever is to their advantage to pay the lowest possible price for the
highest quality work.

David B. Dubin
Senior Curriculum Developer
Sage Software