RE: [TCP] certification (was: ranting STC)

Subject: RE: [TCP] certification (was: ranting STC)
From: Chris Borokowski <athloi -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 07:20:35 -0800 (PST)

I've observed this as well. Basically, with the
collapse of high school education, grade inflation in
the liberal arts universities and a broadening base
that blurs the distinction between two- and four-year
schools, a college degree no longer cuts it. For those
who do not want to go on to overspecialized postgrad
education, a certification is a nice and easy way to
get around this until someone else gets around to
fixing what's on the whole a dysfunctional educational
system and a correspondingly dysfunctional hiring
process.

Why else are certs so important to developers and
others who can get specific degrees ("Computer
Science")? We may object to it on ideological
principles, but it is reality: a certification would
be helpful for technical writers. The quality of that
certification is another issue, but that's like
documentation itself... a good idea can be written
horribly, or vice-versa.

--- "Dubin, David" <David -dot- Dubin -at- sage -dot- com> wrote:

> Because of
> this, they must go
> through the applicant process, which for many
> companies today, includes
> an electronic scan of the resume that looks for
> specifics such as
> degrees and certifications. Those resumes that do
> not contain text on a
> required degree or specialized certification, are
> NOT passed on to the
> HR person for review.

http://www.dionysius.com
code | tech | docs | leadership