Re: Your typographical conventions

Subject: Re: Your typographical conventions
From: Nancy Allison <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: Chris Vickery <cvickery -at- arenasolutions -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 16:46:27 -0600 (CST)

Chris says:

>In my manual I use bold for button names and commands, and italics for
>radio button selections or choices in drop-down menus.

I'm curious. Why make the distinction between these two sets of items?

>We end up with sentences where the same word can be used generically, so
>it's lowercase, and also used to name a specific app concept, so it's
>uppercase. The word "File" for example.

Oh yes. All you can do is hope that your reader is literate enough to understand why -- otherwise, the documentation takes a hit in credibility because of the poor literacy of the reader!

(Just like the need never to split an infinitive or end a sentence with a preposition, not because those rules have had any serious weight for the past 100 years, but because readers and even in-house reviewers still perceive the text as incorrect and the writer as an ignorant fool. Aarrrgh.)

Web-based technology, and PDF output.

to 106 languages with Help &amp; Manual:

or visit