RE: Your typographical conventions

Subject: RE: Your typographical conventions
From: "Chris Vickery" <cvickery -at- arenasolutions -dot- com>
To: "Nancy Allison" <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 14:34:25 -0800

In my manual I use bold for button names and commands, and italics for
radio button selections or choices in drop-down menus. As far as fonts,
I use only two: a simple sans serif font for body text and a serif font
for the titles and headings.

Where I've *really* had trouble is capitalization. We have endless
debates over whether to capitalize the name of an object in our
application--do we capitalize only concepts that are unique to our app?
Do we always capitalize column headings? What if we refer to a column
heading in the body? Do we cap that?

We end up with sentences where the same word can be used generically, so
it's lowercase, and also used to name a specific app concept, so it's
uppercase. The word "File" for example.

Ugh. It's gotten to the Point where almost every Noun is capitalized,
like in German.

Chris