Re: Page Layout- Indesign, Quark, OpenOffice Writer?

Subject: Re: Page Layout- Indesign, Quark, OpenOffice Writer?
From: Cloy Tobola <cloy -dot- tobola -at- ndsu -dot- edu>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, caveatrob -at- gmail -dot- com
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 09:47:57 -0500

Rob,

It really depends on the complexity of your book and your skill set.
You'll also want to find out what your printer prefers. (To be fair,
most printers will readily take PDFs, which you can create from almost
any program.)

Assuming that your book is static content, I'd recommend InDesign first
-- it handles type and graphics well. Quark is the "old work horse" of
publication design, but it is expensive and beginning to fall from favor
with many designers and printers.

If this is your first shot at publishing, I'd STRONGLY recommend the
book "The Mac is Not a Typewriter, 2nd Edition" (or "The PC is Not a
Typewriter") by Robin Williams (not the comedian). It's a quick read --
only about 80 pages -- and a great introduction to some of the basics of
making your type look good, including what typefaces to use, never
underline, no double spaces between sentences, etc.

I've done my share of these projects. Feel free to email me directly
with specific questions.

Best wishes on your project.

-Cloy