Re: Debunking myths and nonsense (was RE: Pet Peeves)

Subject: Re: Debunking myths and nonsense (was RE: Pet Peeves)
From: "Kevin Amery" <kevindamery -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- polycom -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 12:31:08 -0400

On 3/13/07, Combs, Richard <richard -dot- combs -at- polycom -dot- com> wrote:
> > It's the recipient who determines whether or not the message
> > is clear -- or hurtful. When we have been informed that
> > certain words and phrases are hurtful, we need to stop using them.
>
> OK, let's play by that rule. I find your accusation that some phrases I
> like are "racist" and "sexist" quite hurtful. Please don't do it again.
>
> Richard

To add to that, accusing someone in a public forum of *using* sexist /
racist language--despite the context having no indication of either,
and despite a much more commonly used interpretation of the phrase
that's completely innocuous--undermines the entire case of opposition
to racism and spousal abuse. How so? Attacking someone who clearly did
*not* mean the statement in that way (and, truth be told, isn't old
enough to have ever encountered that interpretation...) implies
(rightly or wrongly) that there are no more serious instances to go
after. "Hey, if this is all they can find, the problem must not be
that big after all!"

I do not condone sexism or racism, and I would prefer that my words
not be taken out of context to make it appear otherwise.

--
Until next time...

Kevin Amery