Re: Giving up on XML

Subject: Re: Giving up on XML
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 07:52:04 -0700

I don't think the situation is quite that dire for XML or
some other single-source or structured documentation
scheme. What's required is for some company to devise
a killer tool that enables a master user with a password to
create templates and structures that generate all of the
necessary under-the-hood configuration stuff relative
ease (that is, more than there is now) and lock the interface
against rogue modifications, for tech writers or tech pubs
managers who want to be able to lock down their doc
structures to decide to adopt this tool and for company
management to decide that the price of this tool is not
prohibitive. That's a lot, but it's really no more than was
required for FrameMaker to become ubiquitous in the
industry. All the "cooperation" that is required once
the killer app is developed takes place within companies
and doesn't require competitors to work together. The
little software startup doesn't have to give a hoot whether
its doc schemes are standardized or compatible with the
mega chip or automobile company down the road.

Gene Kim-Eng