Training (was: What would you do? Part 2.)

Subject: Training (was: What would you do? Part 2.)
From: Kevin McLauchlan <kmclauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: 'Janice Gelb' <janice -dot- gelb -at- sun -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 17:27:42 -0400

Janice Gelb blurted:

> * Deciding which tool/approach you're going to
> use for all of your future authoring is a time-
> consuming process and therefore any improvement
> in your currently badly organized and formatted
> doc set would have to wait until you'd finished
> figuring out which tool you're going to use and
> gotten trained on it.

What is this strange word you have written... "trained"?

I might have heard it before, but not recently.
To catch me so off-guard, it would have been as rare as:

"Why yes, we have budget for..."
"Why yes, we have time for..."
neither of which I've heard, this century.

Not sure.

Well, come to think of it, yes I am sure. The shock would have killed me.

But seriously, has there been a poll on how many people get real, live,
_timely_ training on their tools? Versus too little or too late?

If there were to be one, what would you respond?
(I think you can tell mine from the foregoing.)

Also, for additional giggles, what do people think of the notion of a
software/tool vendor selling WEB-based training on their HELP AUTHORING tool
for more than the price of the tool itself? Is there not a certain irony in
that? (That is, should not a mature HELP AUTHORING tool be a paragon of
self-explanatory-ness... and be the LAST thing that should need upwards of a
kilo-buck's worth of .... <awp, sputter, fume, growl> _training_ from the
same people who wrote and [self]documented the tool?)

Kevin