Re: New position? - FEEDBACK NEEDED

Subject: Re: New position? - FEEDBACK NEEDED
From: "Dana Worley" <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 10:34:09 -0600

On Monday, April 23, 2007, TECHWR-L Administrator wrote:

> I'm in a unique position right now. There is a strong possibility of a
> supervisory position becoming available in our TW department and I'm not
> sure if I should apply for it or not. I'm hesitant because I'm not sure
> if I'd be able to write as much (at least not end-user docs) and that
> makes me a little uncomfortable because that's what I've been doing for
> over 13 years.

I was in a similar position last year. I had been with the company
mainly doing technical writing for 9 years. And then my boss
announced his retirement.

My first reaction was "No, I don't want that job." Then, over the next
few days, the pendulum gradually swung to the other side :)

My concerns were similar to your's. I loved writing - would I be able
to continue writing as much as I was? My job was "safe" -- what if I
failed as a manager? My boss was a good boss -- how could I ever
fill his shoes? I talked with my boss. I asked how much of my
current work he saw me being able to keep. He said, "within a year,
None." Hmmm...

In the end, I decided I was ready for the change and a challenge.
What was the worst that could happen? I could do miserably or hate
the new job and possibly assume some other position within the
company or be fired, or, I might just do a good job. At some point, I
realized I didn't have to do the job my boss was doing. I just had to
do the best I could in this new position. By the time I hit the
interview, I was fighting for the position :)

It was a good decision. Though I hoped I could be superwoman and
keep all my writing responsibilities, after two months I was begging
to hire another person (and I did). No, I don't write as much, but I
have a host of other, new and challenging things to fill my day (and I
did keep one writing project, which keeps my skills sharp --
hopefully -- and keeps me up on our technology).

There will be things you have to give up. That's a bit hard to do in
some ways. However, there will be new things to learn. Personally, I
enjoy the new responsibility and my days fly by even faster than they
did before.

Dana W.

Dana Worley
Software Product Manager/Manager, Software Support Group
Campbell Scientific, Inc.
Microsoft MVP, Windows Help

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList