RE: help with URL registration?

Subject: RE: help with URL registration?
From: "Al Geist" <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: "'Traci Pearson'" <pearsontechcomm -at- comcast -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 11:00:49 -0400

Traci Pearson wrote:

A few years ago, I registered a couple of URLs. Since then, I've changed
ISPs a couple of times and put website development on hold.

Since I paid for a number of years of "ownership" of the URLs, I assume I
still "own" them, but I don't know how to confirm this or to transfer the
URLs to a new ISP/web hosting service. And, if I've let the "ownership" of
the URLs lapse, how do I re-register them if I haven't yet picked a new web
hosting service?

Hi Traci,

Who did you use to originally register the domains? They should be able to
tell you if you still own them, or you can go to "whois.com" or
"networksolutions.com" and search for your old domains to see if they are
still registered. Assuming they are, you can then contact your new ISP and
ask for help transferring them from your old ISP to your new ISP. Most have
written procedures for this as it's not that difficult. (It's a simple
matter of redirecting your domain from your old ISP servers to your new ISP
servers.)

If you need to re-register, your new ISP can help with that too, but ensure
you retain the rights to your domain so you can move again if you have to.
(If you let the domains lapse, you may have to choose a different domain
name.) You don't need an ISP to register a domain name. I registered both my
domains long before I was ready to upload a website.

I use Network Solutions for my domain name registering. My web hosting
service (Dreamhost.com) offers those services too. This may be the case with
the ISP you use to host your website.

Hope that helps

Al Geist
Technical Writing, Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design and Award Winning
Videos
Voice/Msg: 802-658-3140
Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com
office and beautiful note cards for all occasions.)

A few years ago, I registered a couple of URLs.
Since then, I've changed ISPs a couple of times
and put website development on hold.

Since I paid for a number of years of "ownership"
of the URLs, I assume I still "own" them, but I
don't know how to confirm this or to transfer the
URLs to a new ISP/web hosting service. And, if
I've let the "ownership" of the URLs lapse, how
do I re-register them if I haven't yet picked a new web hosting service?

Thanks for any help you can give!
Traci

Traci Pearson
Pearson Technical Communication
Writing, Editing, Information Design . Print and Online
pearsontechcomm -at- comcast -dot- net
(303) 410-9101

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com -dot-

or visit
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/al.geist%40geistassociate
s.com

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList