RE: Information Engineers

Subject: RE: Information Engineers
From: Gause_Brian -at- emc -dot- com
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 15:26:20 -0400

The title "Technical Writer" was always a bit misleading. A good writer
is not necessarily a good Technical Writer. To be good at the job we
generally refer to as "Technical Writing", you must first have excellent
communication skills. This means not just writing, but reading, talking
and generally getting along with your team. You must be able to
understand what your team says to you, and you must be ready to ask
questions when you don't understand. Consequently, you must be good at
grasping the essential principles, and ask appropriate questions.

This job is about communicating complex tasks to users who know nothing.
Writing is helpful, but it's only one skill among many. I equate Tech
Writing to "Library Science" from my SRA-testing days. To do this job
well, you must ask questions, find answers and communicate clearly.
Easy-peasy.

Brian Gause

Technical Writer
EMC Captiva