Re: Anybody using Web 2.0 sites/services for doc projects?

Subject: Re: Anybody using Web 2.0 sites/services for doc projects?
From: Chris Borokowski <athloi -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Rebecca Stevenson <rjstevenson -at- sprynet -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 06:35:08 -0700 (PDT)

Web 2.0 means two things: the stateful web and the
interactive web. HTTP was originally a stateless
protocol, meaning that each information exchange
occurred without a persistent session. With the use of
XML, Java and active server scripting (AJAX, etc) the
web is now stateful, like a telnet session. Because
this requires a newer-generation browser, server
configuration and approach to programming web pages
(not HTML but XHTML and JavaScript, generally) it is
considered a new web paradigm.

Naturally, this has consequences. A stateful web
encourages more interaction between user and site, and
that requires user-to-user interaction, something
inherited from the success of IM and IRC, the sleeper
killer apps of the internet age. This is the
"interactive web" component of Web 2.0.

Web 2.0 is hard to define because it is both
technological and social (like the success of the
telephone). It is a large leap in that it moves the
web from HTML anyone can create to a salad of
disunified technologies that require some programming
background. It seems to me that the technological
component is here to stay, and the interactive
component has moved to the web and is unlikely to go
away but also is not as important as many think it is.

--- Rebecca Stevenson <rjstevenson -at- sprynet -dot- com> wrote:
> I have been puzzled by this term for a while now,
> because as far as I can tell, it doesn't technically
> mean anything. It's not a thing, it's a "sense,"
> it's an "approach." There is no way to look at a
> site and say "Aha! Web 2.0!"

User Interface design blog
http://user-advocacy.blogspot.com/
Code::Design::UI::Consulting