RE: Insurance Question

Subject: RE: Insurance Question
From: "Barbara Philbrick" <caslon -at- alltel -dot- net>
To: "'Lauren'" <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>, "'Stuart Burnfield'" <slb -at- westnet -dot- com -dot- au>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 12:48:59 -0400

The only time I was asked to get E&O insurance, it was a ploy by agencies to
get rid of independent contractors and, ultimately, the firm that hired the
agencies dropped the requirement. Most writers are covered under general
business liability plans. E&O is expensive (>$1200 per year vs. $150 for
general liability). My insurance broker said it's primarily aimed at
printers (think about a print shop that screws up page 43 of a Lands End
catalog run and has to recoup the cost).

It did hack me that insurance companies get as much as they do from tech
writers for E&O, since the odds of paying out are low unless you are working
on high volume print stuff (I am never working on high volume stuff; most of
my work is online now, so E&O would be especially ridiculous). Also, my work
is signed off by subject matter experts before going to print, so there
would be shared responsibility.

My clients have generally not expected it; most of them don't even know what
it is.

Regards,

Barb