Re: Another RoboHelp question

Subject: Re: Another RoboHelp question
From: "Pro TechWriter" <pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Chinell, David F (GE Indust, Security)" <David -dot- Chinell -at- ge -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 10:39:40 -0400

I just use the date for the folders, but otherwise, I like the "Known
problems" idea along with adding the versioning. If I weren't a Lone Writer,
I would do something like this too.

Thanks David :-) Another addition to my toolkit is always welcome.

PT

On 5/9/07, Chinell, David F (GE Indust, Security) <David -dot- Chinell -at- ge -dot- com>
wrote:

> Craig:
>
> Just using Windows Explorer...
>
> We have a top-level "work project" (not RH project) folder that's
> labelled like: "787999 R3.0 WhizBang Help." Within this we have an
> overall Work slushbucket folder, a Known Problems folder, and separate
> folders for each major iteration, labelled: "787999 R02.07." These are
> the root folders of RoboHelp projects.
>
> In outline form it's like this
>
> 787999 R3.0 WhizBang Help
> --787999 R02.01
> --787999 R02.02
> --787999 R02.03
> --...
> --787999 R02.07
> --Known Problems
> --Work
>
> Our IT department backs up everything daily. That's the theory, anyway.
>
> The discipline for the writer is, whenever he's going to do major work,
> he uses Windows Explorer to copy the entire RoboHelp project folder and
> bumps the rev in the folder name. So when I go in there to do work I'll
> copy the 787999 R02.07 folder and rename it to 787999 R02.08. As long as
> I'm working in R02.08 I'm risking all I've develped if that project
> blows up and the IT backups don't work. But I can copy and bump as often
> as I need for my comfort level.
>
> Also, after a rev is published for review, the writer HAS to start a new
> foler for any subsequent work. I.E. we "freeze" the project whenever we
> publish it for outside use, so we can make sense of reviewers' comments
> etc.
>
> In case you're wondering about the rev numbering scheme, no it doesn't
> make much sense. It just is, has been since before time, etc. etc. The
> top-level folder indicates that we're trying to get to rev 3.0. We start
> with rev 02.01 and bump those revs until we do the final publishing to
> production, at which time we mark the rev as 3.0
>
> Bear

> Create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to Help file formats or
> printed documentation. Features include support for Windows Vista & 2007
> http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList
>
> Now shipping: Help &amp; Manual 4 with RoboHelp(r) import! New editor,
> full Unicode support. Create help files, web-based help and PDF in up
> to 106 languages with Help &amp; Manual: http://www.helpandmanual.com
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> or visit
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/pro.techwriter%40gmail.com

PT
pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com
I'm a Technical Technical Writer!

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList