Re: Documentation Tool in Linux Environment

Subject: Re: Documentation Tool in Linux Environment
From: "Pro TechWriter" <pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Dishaa <dishaag -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 13:10:48 -0400

Hi Dishaa:

I have used Framemaker in other UNIX environments for single sourcing online
help and printed documentation. It worked very well, and is quite flexible.
I don't know what their compatiblity is with Linux, but I am sure someone on
this list knows.

The templates are not too difficult. There is some learning curve with
Framemaker, but there are some great books out there with tutorials that
would probably get you up and running pretty quickly.

Framemaker is very stable, as opposed to Word, which can be difficult in
that area. Good Luck!
PT

On 5/9/07, Dishaa <dishaag -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am technical writer for a software company that requires quite a bit of
> documentation work for its software applications. Few things regarding the
> present scenario:
>

> Currently, there are no standards or documentation in place.
> The direction the company wants to take is have a tool that will enable
> printed output and On-line Help files where the requirement maybe.
> The office runs on a Linux environment and I was wondering which would
> be the best tool to use in this scenario.
> The document categories maybe - User Manual, Developer Guide, Policies
> and Guidelines Manual, and so on.
>
> Therefore, which is the best tool considering the types of documents, the
> work involved - setting templates and having multiple outputs, and the
> environment.
>
> I had in mind DocBook, but considering I am not well-versed in XML, would
> like to know the alternatives. Or is DocBook use able enough even for a
> beginner.
>
> I would hugely appreciate if the soundly advised members of the community
> could provide valuable suggestions and recommendations.
> Gratefully,Dishaa
>

> Dishaa Ganapathy
> 215 North Ave, NE
> Atlanta, GA 30308
> Tel: 678-925-2072|Email: dishaag -at- yahoo -dot- com
>
> "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but
> in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust
>

> ---------------------------------
> Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.
>
> Create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to Help file formats or
> printed documentation. Features include support for Windows Vista & 2007
> http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList
>
> Now shipping: Help & Manual 4 with RoboHelp(r) import! New editor,
> full Unicode support. Create help files, web-based help and PDF in up
> to 106 languages with Help & Manual: http://www.helpandmanual.com
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> or visit
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/pro.techwriter%40gmail.com

PT
pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com
I'm a Technical Technical Writer!

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList