RE: This too is technical communication: on the other hand...

Subject: RE: This too is technical communication: on the other hand...
From: "Gordon McLean" <Gordon -dot- McLean -at- GrahamTechnology -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 08:11:10 +0100

Ditto. I created a company website in 1996, mainly because there was
'no-one' else to do it.

And as for the "web designers" now create the content... Again, like our own
little corner of the world, there are many MANY good web designers who
understand the difference, and the need to maintain that difference, between
layout and content. A lot of the skills we, as Tech Writers, have that are
centred around information structure, are largely duplicated in the web
design world (although the terminology is different, the premises
(premisii*) are the same).

As for the role of Tech Writers in "QA", I've never worked with a test team
that didn't welcome our input. As both teams are, typically, learning new
functionality at around about the same time, the crossover of knowledge and
skills is hugely helpful. Of course I wouldn't claim to be a QA Engineer
even though I do 'test' the application, and they wouldn't claim to be Tech
Writers even though they do sometimes provide source content for the docs.

~~~~~~~

A sidenote for Friday: Should the list add an auto-generated footer that
states the following:
1. One part of the answer to most questions is "Know your audience".
2. We can't all outline the delicate and subtle intricacies of our
workplace, let's presume we are ALL generalising.

Anything else? ;-)

Gordon