layout duties/ separate functions?

Subject: layout duties/ separate functions?
From: "Eric Bolton" <ERICB -at- marvin -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 10:39:07 -0500

Is there anyone out there working as a technical writer/communicator (or heard of anyone) that does not take on the layout portion of creating a document? If you fit this bill can you give me any feedback on doing things this way?
I know the history of how this system came about in the late 70's and early 80's when DTP software and computers were expensive. Has anyone started their career this way and switched over?
I posted a similar question about two years ago on this subject and have been working on convincing management to allow the technical writers to learn the software so we can eliminate redundancies and the inherent content errors.
I need some fresh answers as we are now at a crossroads and are considering a switch from Broadvision Quicksilver to either FrameMaker or Indesign.

Eric Bolton
Marvin Windows and Doors

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList