RE: "face time" at the office

Subject: RE: "face time" at the office
From: "Lauren" <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>
To: "'Pro TechWriter'" <pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>, "'Connie Giordano'" <connie -at- therightwordz -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 14:52:54 -0700

I wonder if this is a factor for why large corporations around here will
only, in most cases, work with contractors that are incorporated. It used
to be that companies would work with 1099 contractors, but now they won't
accept that and they require that contractors be incorporated.

My understanding is that a 1099 contractor that performs most of his work
on-site can be legally considered an employee and the company that retains
the contractor could be held liable for violations of labor and tax laws by
not treating the contractor as an employee for workers' compensation and tax
issues.

Companies in my area seem to want people on-site because they have been
ripped-off by off-site contractors. I remember working with contractors
that worked off-site but they really didn't produce that much work, so I
think that they may have been billing for hours not worked.

Lauren