Re: assessing a lone-writer gig

Subject: Re: assessing a lone-writer gig
From: "Fiona Krycek" <fiona -dot- krycek -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- polycom -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 13:45:56 -0400

On 6/22/07, Combs, Richard <richard -dot- combs -at- polycom -dot- com> wrote:

> I'm with Gene. In fact, if I were interviewing you for a small startup*,
>and you asked those questions, I'd tell my associates that you weren't
>right for the job -- that we needed an experienced, confident
>self-starter who'd analyze our doc needs and make smart decisions and
>recommendations, not someone who seems to need training, direction, and
>hand-holding. No offense, but that's the impression those questions
>convey.

Hmm... I'm not sure why you see it as problematic for a job candidate to
ask whether the company has preconceived ideas about when their new lone
writer will begin producing deliverables, and whether or not the candidate
(ie., the writer) would be calling the shots
for scheduling deliverables. Doesn't that go to the heart of making sure you
have support from management?

I once accepted a job where I was one of two writers. During the interview
process, I did not ask about deliverables and scheduling. I started my job
and was told on the first day that I had to produce a book by the end of the
week. Despite my arguments that the timing was completely inappropriate,
given that I was new to the project, the company, the technology, as so
forth, the project team wouldn't budge. Complete nightmare, and it didn't
stop there. I was consistently treated by this company as if I were a team
of 10. I worked there for exactly two months.

So I say ask the question. It's completely legitimate, it does not make you
look as if you lack confidence or experience. How else are you going to find
out what you're getting into?

Fiona

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList